Working in cold weather puts enormous strain on your body. To fight back, try these cold-weather safety tips while working on the job:
- Securely tie down or weigh down supplies so they are safe from gusts of wind.
- Wear a hat—20 to 30 percent of your body heat is lost through your head.
- Take frequent breaks in warm, dry shelters to allow your body to warm up.
- Sweep water out of passageways inside of buildings under construction to avoid slipping.
- Clean off and sand work surfaces covered by ice or snow to prevent falling.
- Use the buddy system–always work in pairs.
- Drink warm, sweet beverages, like sugar water or sports drinks, and avoid caffeinated drinks like coffee, tea, soda and hot chocolate.
- Eat warm, high-calorie foods like hot pasta.