High winds and driving rain are the two most common sources of damage during windstorms, hurricanes and tornadoes. When a storm threatens your area:
- Secure any objects outside your house that may become flying debris in heavy winds.
- Watch or listen to local weather reports for updates, evacuation orders and shelter information. Evacuate as early as possible, especially if your area is flood-prone.
- If you stay in your house during the storm, find a sheltered area away from doors, windows and any glass items.
- Move your family emergency kit to an accessible area of your home and educate all family members about what’s inside.
- Place any valuables, jewelry and important documents in a safe location.
- Lower levels will flood first and cause extensive damages. If possible, relocate personal belongings and valuables to higher levels.